Monday 2 August 2021

Welcome to my Table Top

Vulnerability is a word of metaphoric onomatopoeia. The mere utterance sets off an alarm of panic in my ear drums and makes the top half of my body shudder. Someone is about to ask me to bare my soul in front of the whole class, naked, at the end of year assembly. It’s happening and I can’t stop it and it doesn’t matter what BrenĂ© Brown says…it’s my ABSOLUTE WORST NIGHTMARE!

Vulnerability is also the millennial equivalent of power dressing in the ‘80s. No longer are we required to wear shoulder pads, ‘take up space’ and unleash a metaphoric smack down when we are talked over (although we can if required). In the ‘20s, we must share with the world a part of ourselves we grew up believing was for our eyes only,  buried in a magical box with an Azkaban worthy locking system, to which only we could access.

So why am I even sharing my feelings on the V-word with you? Here is a story.

Some months ago I was overheard discussing a person with a chaotic life (a.k.a. just a regular person) on the telephone and without realising it, had underrated the importance of something which I was discussing. I dismissed it, skated over it, and undermined it. I was overheard.

My wonderful colleague stewed on this for a brief moment and then asked my permission to create a safe space to call me out, to bring me with her into awareness and to welcome me into a new conversation.

She did this using ‘Table Top Time’. Initially an office based open mic of sorts held in that dead bit of desk no one can possibly sit at, and at which we used to eat biscuits, swap recipes and share life updates and ditties of no consequence at all.

Table Top Time quickly became something far more profound.  

‘Alex, I need to talk to you. That thing you said on the phone to the person I don’t know; it has really affected me. I don’t think you realised but it is important and it means something to me.’

Of course, an empathy light bulb lit up immediately and remained illuminated. But what percolated latterly was a reflection that she had instantly created a moment in which, without a shred of threat, she showed me her vulnerability. And she invited me to do the same, on equal footing, without competition, virtue signalling or performance.

This has been on my mind for months now. How did she do it? Can I do it? Can we all do it?

We’ve all had those moments where someone says something which hits a nerve but we don’t want to make a fuss or don’t believe we have permission to object, lest it make us vulnerable in some way. At one extreme for fear I might lose my job for saying something to someone senior and making them appear weak. At another extreme, by verbalising my upset or hurt I am expressing my feelings in a situation where emotions are aligned with weakness, for which there is no place in my toxic power-dressing up box.

But actually, what my colleague and I gained from Table Top Time has been a world of new conversations, trust and personal growth; not to mention a strengthening in our personal relationship which simply wouldn’t have happened any other way.

Maybe there is something in this.

What if the plates at the Table Top were loaded with our baggage and nonsense (see regular person, above), and we sat down to a tasting menu of truth and awareness, made peace with the fact that there would be moments of discomfort and just enjoyed the meal? No one participates in Table Top Time without acknowledging that they have a lot to learn and also something meaningful to contribute. It’s a space of Speak Up and Listen Up. Everyone has the same access to validation and challenge.

Vulnerability is the birthplace of trust. And trust is what we need in order to take risks. Risks are how we trial new ideas and thoughts. Adapt and adopt what works and playfully laugh at what doesn’t and crucially, do not judge ourselves for our failures. We notice these moments as they are recycled around the vulnerability food chain. Vulnerability is: relinquishing control and acknowledging messy things like feelings. Let those spaghetti strings splash. 

The best thing about Table Top Time is that there are no restrictions. It’s free and it’s for everyone. You don’t even need a table, just an imagination and a mind-set for it.

Who will you be saving a space for at your Table Top Time? 

No comments:

Post a Comment